Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bankside and Southwark Walk


The first picture is of us in front of the Duke of Wellington's ship. It was awesome to see and read about a lot of history towards the beginning of this walk. I liked seeing the recreated Globe Theater and then being able to see the actual site of the original Globe Theater. I felt like we walked through a lot more of narrow, older alleyways and I liked exploring through them. To be honest though, my favorite part of this walk was towards the end when we came to the more famous and familiar sites like Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. was so gorgeous walking along the Thames and seeing the Tower Bridge through the twinkle lights strung from the lampposts! It made me really glad we did this walk at night so we could fully get the effect of the bridge all lit up. Walking across was amazing too. Lorraine and I had been talking earlier about how you really can't capture these buildings on camera - you don't realize how huge they are until you see them in real life and then it's so surprising, but in a good way. Another one of my favorite memories I want to remember from this walk is seeing the Tower of London. Honestly, I've never thought the Tower of London looked that cool. It always seemed pretty small and not that interesting to look at architecturally. But once we got across the bridge and we saw the Tower of London with a giant UK flag waving from the top and the moonlit clouds behind it, it looked pretty legit!

1 comment: